Skip to content ↓
St Mary's Catholic Primary School

St Mary's Catholic
Primary School


If you have an SEN enquiry please contact the school office on 01473 728372 and they will put you in touch with Mr Bentley, the school's SENCO. Alternatively you can email -

All staff at St Mary's are aware of the different physical needs of children; this means they recognise disability issues. All barriers to learning and participation are addressed, and specific pupils’ needs are planned for and supported. All children are encouraged to take part in all activities and where necessary, extra support is provided to ensure all children can partake in all activities.

Learning environments are adapted when needed, with for example, workstations, writing slopes and laptops. Furthermore, all teachers plan for all needs in the classroom and if necessary, in consultation with the SENCO: this may include sensory activities and use of sensory resources.

Intimate Care Policy

SEND Information Report

What are Special Educational Needs

What are Special Educational Needs?


The Code of Practice 2015 states that there are four main areas of Special Educational Needs. These areas and their meanings are as follows:

Areas of Special



Relating to difficulties with:




Children may have a delay or disorder in one of the following areas:

Attention/ interaction skills:

May have difficulty ignoring distractions. Need reminders to maintain attention. May need regular prompts to stay on task. May need individualised motivation to complete tasks. Difficulty in attending in whole class. Interaction will not always be appropriate. May have peer relationship difficulties. May not be able to initiate or maintain a conversation.

Understanding and receptive language:

May need visual support to understand and process spoken language. May need augmented communication systems. Frequent misunderstandings. Repetition of language and some basic language needs to be used to aid their understanding.

Speech/expressive language:

May use simple language and limited vocabulary. Ideas/ conversations may be difficult to follow with the need to request frequent clarification. Some immaturities in the speech sound system. Grammar /phonological

Awareness still fairly poor and therefore their literacy can be affected.




May have difficulty with the skills for effective learning such as use of:

  •  Language, memory and reasoning skills
  •  Sequencing and organisational skills
  •  An understanding of number
  •  Problem- solving and concept development skills
  •  Fine and gross motor skills
  •  Independent learning skills
  •  Exercising choice
  •  Decision making
  •  Information processing

Children may have a specific learning disability such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, or dysgraphia


Mental and Emotional


May have difficulty with social or emotional development which may lead to or stem from:

  •     Social isolation
  •     Behavioural difficulties
  •     Attention difficulties (ADHD)
  •     Anxiety and depression
  •     Attachment disorders
  •     Low self esteem
  •     Issues with self image




These pupils may have a medical or genetic condition which leads to:

  •    Specific medical conditions
  •    Gross/fine motor skills
  •    Visual/hearing impairment
  •    Accessing the curriculum without adaptation
  •    Physically accessing the buiding or equipment
  •    Over sensitive to noise, touch, smells, light and taste
  •    Toileting and self care

Diagnosing Special Educational Needs

Parents often ask us how long it will take to get a diagnosis of special educational needs and this a difficult question to answer as a diagnosis often involves a variety of different professionals. If parents or the school think a child may have autistic spectrum disorder, dyspraxia, sensory processing disorder, speech and language delay, hearing loss or visual problems, a referral to a paediatrician will be needed for investigation. The route for this is usually through the child’s GP, who will make a referral to the child development clinic at the hospital. The school will provide information on the child’s difficulties and the child may be seen by an occupational therapist, physiotherapist, speech and language therapist and paediatrician. Each professional will make recommendations to the school and these will be put into place. Even without a definite diagnosis the school will put interventions in place which aim to remove the barriers to the child’s learning. We are used to catering for a variety of needs and can put measures in place without a diagnosis so that parents can be confident that if a diagnosis takes time ( often up to six months) we will strive to meet the child’s needs.

Our bottom line when putting interventions in place is whether a child’s learning is being affected by a barrier which we can remove. We recognise that seeking a diagnosis can be emotional for parents and that waiting for one can add to the worries they have for their child and Mr Bentley is always available to discuss any issues or concerns.

Identification of Special Educational Needs Flowchart

Provision Map Detailing The Kind Of Help Avaliable at St Marys

Accessibility Plan

Useful Links

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities help and advice

Here are some useful links of people you can contact for help or advice

You can click on the following link to find out about the local offer for Suffolk Local Authority






Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Auditory Processing Disorder


Sensory Processing Disorder


Irlens Syndrome


Speech and language and communication difficulties


Mental Health 




Suffolk County Council Children and Families - Suffolk Parent Hub


Suffolk Info Link - Emotional Well-being Gateway


Social Care and Early Help